Friday, June 17, 2011

Little Miss Sunshine

As what might seem as a reiteration of an earlier post, I must declare - it takes so little to light up your morning!

I was driving down my normal route to work, mindlessly untangling a chain of desultory thoughts and before I knew it, I was at a red light. A glimse in the mirror, a glance at the phone, the customary song switch and a knock on my window. A tiny little sweetheart in torn clothes. Too young to be up at this hour. Too young to be begging to stay alive. The image crushed me and made me realise how much there was too be done for little children like the one who stared at me then with dark, beuatiful, pleading eyes. For a reason I still can't fathom, I skipped the usual chatter I initiate with these kids and just handed over 10 rupees. My mind was blank and I couldn't think beyond her sad eyes. All I could muster was a promise from her that she'd buy herself something to eat with the money, and would make sure she attended the evening school in her area. She agreed, her face lit up and she skipped off to another car, while I was left wondering what her life was like. 30 seconds later, I could see her looking at me in my rear view mirror. She had the most adorable smile on her face as she waved at me and I reciprocated with an even bigger smile. Just as I was driving off, she pursed her lips, raised her tiny palm and blew me a flying kiss. It was just the sweetest little thing!

Who says strangers can't leave good memories? Sometimes they leave the best :)

No comments:

Post a Comment